The deadline for our Breen journalism fellowships for Mexican nationals is November 7, 2022. All other full fellowships have been awarded. Please see the news page on this website for details on the winners.
Our full fellowships recognize emerging and established writers of exceptional talent. Scroll down for requirements and expectations. Click on specific fellowship images for eligibility.
All fellowships cover tuition for the three week program, accommodation in the village, RT transportation to Mexico City from a single point of origin in either Mexico or the US and a small stipend. Fellows are responsible for their transportation to Tepoztlán and should expect to pay for their own meals except for breakfast.
Fellowship recipients are expected to be full participants in the UTV community. They are required to provide written proof of their availability to remain in Tepoztlán for the entire program and to attend all ancillary events, including group meals and guest presentations in addition to their master classes. Fellows are expected to work full-time on their creative projects and not on outside commitments while in the program. Family members are not permitted
Full Named Fellowships
- online application;
- recent c.v.;
- cover letter describing your reasons for applying and confirming your commitment to participate fully in all program activities;
- 25-page double-spaced writing sample in Word or PDF;
- two letters of recommendation from people who know your character and work.
N.B. Letters and all other supporting material must be uploaded from the application; we will not read items sent separately or after the deadline.
- submit a one-page final report to the program director;
- write a thank you letter to the donors;
- mention Under the Volcano in their official bio as they share it on social media and in publications and on their cv;
- agree to assist the program with future recruitment and by curating UTV events in their home community as appropriate;
- acknowledge Under the Volcano in any publications that benefitted from the programs’s support.
In addition, all applicants for Spanish-language fellowships must provide proof of advanced competence in written and spoken English to ensure full participation in the life of the overall community of writers.
La Güera Trigos
Sylvia Aguilar Zéleny
Selene Angeles Diaz
María José Gómez Castillo
Itzel Guevara del Ángel
Mariana Roa Oliva
Montserrat Rodríguez Ruelas
Margot Adler Fellowship
Jessica Camille Aguirre