FULL FELLOWSHIPS 2023
DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15, 2022.
Our named fellowships recognize emerging and established writers of exceptional talent. All fellowships cover tuition for the three week program, accommodation in the village, RT transportation from a single point of origin in either Mexico or the US and a small stipend. Fellows should expect to pay for their own meals except for breakfast.
Fellowship recipients are expected to be full participants in the UTV community. They are required to provide written proof of their availability to remain in Tepoztlán for the entire program and to attend all ancillary events, including group meals and guest presentations in addition to their master classes. Fellows are expected to work full-time on their creative projects and not on outside commitments while in the program. Family members are not permitted.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS for FULL FELLOWSHIPS
- the online application;
- a recent c.v.;
- a 25-page sample of your writing in the genre for which you are applying;
- a cover letter describing your reasons for applying;
- two letters of recommendation from people who know your character and work.
In the spirit of giving back and paying forward, all fellowship recipients must:
- submit a one-page written report to the program director no later than a week after the program ends;
- write a thank you letter to the donors no later than a week after the program ends;
- participate in official group literary events such as Open Mics;
- offer a public reading from their work either during the program or soon after it;
- agree to assist the program with future recruitment and to curate UTV events in their home community as appropriate;
- mention Under the Volcano and their specific fellowship by name in their official bio and publication credits.
In addtion, all applicants for Spanish-language fellowships must provide written proof of advanced competence in written and spoken English to ensure full participation in the life of the overall community of writers.
Full Fellowships for English Language Writers
The Grace Paley Fellowship
is awarded to a woman poet or fiction writer of any age whose work Grace Paley would have encouraged and includes childcare if needed.
The Sandra Cisneros Fellowship
was established by friends and admirers of pioneering writer Sandra Cisneros to recognize an English-language Latinx creative writer of outstanding literary promise and leadership ability.
Ana Portnoy Brimmer
The Words of Witness Fellowship
is awarded to a US-based writer of literary non-fiction whose work addresses issues of social justice, racism or the fate of the earth in an innovative way.
Reggie Scott Young
The Imagination Unbound Fellowship
recognizes a fiction writer whose work opens new worlds. This fellowship is for an English-language writer of speculative or experimental writing and has no age limits.
The Truthteller Fellowship
is awarded to a working US journalist whose work exposes the forces behind social, political or cultural injustice.
Full Fellowships for Spanish-Language Writers
La Página Dorada
se otorga a una escritora mexicana menor de 40 años con un libro en puerta (novela o colección de cuentos).
Las becas Robert L. Breen
se destinan a periodistas mexican@ menores de 45 años, de cualquier estado de la República.