Acceptance to all master classes will be made on a rolling basis until all slots are full. The application deadline for named fellowships (see below for eligibility) is October 15.
Acceptance to all master classes is based on literary promise and/or accomplishment as demonstrated in your writing sample and the information on your application form, as well as the intent conveyed in your cover letter. We read every word you send us and do our best to ensure a good match between prospective participants and the program as a whole.
N.B. Los candidatos de lengua hispana deben de enviar la muestra de su escritura en español.
Under the Volcano offers partial financial aid based on proof of your monthly income and expenses. Such proof (recent tax forms, pay stubs or bank statements and receipts for housing, as well as evidence of continuing obligations such as loans) should be uploaded with your application. Due to volume we are unable to consider supporting documents submitted as email attachments or after the fact.
Please note that due to funding cut-backs our financial aid this year will be more limited than usual. If finances will be an issue, we encourage you to seek outside funding from other sources. Upon request we will provide successful applicants with a formal letter to help them seek additional support beyond what we can provide.
BLACK WRITERS MATTER FUND
This fund was established by a group of inaugural donors to ensure greater participation and visibility of Black writers as we work to deepen our response to the systemic racism that afflicts our community despite our best efforts to address it.
If you are a Black writer of fiction, poetry or literary non-fiction, or an early or mid-career journalist with a commitment to investigative reporting, we strongly encourage you to apply. You’ll discover a welcoming, supportive community of Volcanistas from around the world—and make connections that will help you take your voice to the next level. For more information please click here.
FULL NAMED FELLOWSHIPS
Information on our named fellowships can be found here. Please be sure you have read the eligibility criteria before applying .
Requirements for all full fellowships:
- online application
- recent c.v.
- cover letter describing your reasons for applying and confirming your commitment to participate fully in all program activity;
- 25-page double-spaced writing sample in Word or PDF
- two letters of recommendation from people who know your character and work.
N.B. Letters and all other supporting material must be uploaded from the application; we will not read items sent separately or after the deadline.
In the spirit of giving back and paying forward, all fellowship recipients must return a signed contract in which they agree to:
- submit a one-page final report to the program director;
- write a thank you letter to the donors;
- mention Under the Volcano in their official bio as they share it on social media and in publications and on their cv;
- agree to assist the program with future recruitment and by curating UTV events in their home community as appropriate;
- acknowledge Under the Volcano in any publications that benefitted from the programs’s support.
In addition, all applicants for Spanish-language fellowships must provide proof of advanced competence in written and spoken English to ensure full participation in the life of the overall community of writers.